Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Surrounded by critters!

I love seeing people wearing my beads! The other day my daughter was wearing this turtle I made, so I snapped a picture of it (I promised her I'd crop out all but the turtle). She has always loved turtles. Well, she just has always loved animals period! It didn't surprise me one bit when in high school she went to work at a pet store. Which is where she got one of her real turtles named Stupid. The other two she had were Mikey & Twitty. The three amigos stayed with us until they became too big for the aquarium in her room. After that they went to live out the rest of their time in a big pond full of yummy tadpoles at a friends house.

When I sit and think about it, we have had such a wide variety of critters in our family. 3 turtles, 2 gerbils, 2 hamsters, 2 geckos, 14 birds, 6 dogs, and dozens of fish. By the way, most of these were brought into our home by our animal loving daughter I spoke of earlier. There have been so many that I'm sure I'm probably forgetting someone in there! Oh, and we don't just give our pets any ordinary ol' name! Well, some of them we did, but most of them are pretty wild. Like birds named Lassie, Phredd, Fishbait, Zhou, Nipper, Screech. There was a hamster named Roadkill, fish named Tater Tot, Tater Chip, Gnocchi & Sweet Tater. And don't forget the dogs Abigail Von Wag-a-tail(the perfect dog) and Tucker Von F***er.

Yep, I love my critters! Each and every one of them! Which is probably why when I sit down at the torch to make a bead the thing I always come back to making is some sort of sculptural animal bead. I find that it is my comfort zone. The thing that makes me feel the most at home.

ETA: I knew I was forgetting someone in my long list of pets! My daughter reminded me of Elvis the Guinea Pig. How could I forget that cute little guy?

2 comments:

Denise Felton said...

Ooooooo. I LURV the turtle bead!!! And I'm still snort-laughing at your pet names--especially Abigail and Tucker. :)

Julie Anne of Diamondmeenuh Creations said...

Are we related??? I LOVE that turtle bead! My eldest tiel, R.B. Bird, AsaMina's father was the hugest fan of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles in the universe. When he went over the rainbow bridge, I got a turtle charm for my necklace to remind me of my angel. I can even keep up with you on the animal names: Pooka, Chupchik, Kypynykh (all three huskies), Keetsie Bird, Ida Know (both budgies--Ida Know...we didn't know what to name her and it stuck) and my 14 tiels R.B. Bird Leonardo, April-Moana O'Neil, Cherry Lace, Sir Ralph D'Artagnan (he was my 4th Muska-tiel), Diamond Sunshine, Belle-Porthos, Buddie Moose, Cleo Chaquita Pattee, Rowena Rose Teal, AsaMina Sura, Precious Precious, Tyson Parker, Edgar Allan Chirp AND Worthington Israel Wentworth *pant pant*. Need to hire you to birdie sit for me when I have surgery! Wish you lived closer!! Love your daughters story!